Tuesday 20 June 2017

Stung!


                                    Résultat de recherche d'images pour "Bees"

The Bees arrived about three weeks ago, the hives are brought in to pollinate the Chestnut plantations; whilst doing their job, the Bees often stop off en route to drink from our pool.

I have always lifted out bees and other insects by hand when I find them in difficulty on the water, and, until now, I have NEVER been stung.

Yesterday, however, whilst I was busy doing my 100 metres breaststroke, I saved the life of a bastard rogue Bee, and he returned my generosity by stinging me on my finger.

I went directly to the 'net' to look for home remedies, and came across several. Honey, it seems, will do the job, but I wouldn't give the Bee population the pleasure, after such behaviour. Baking Powder can be made into a paste and applied. And the sting can be immersed in Apple Cider Vinegar. I chose a version of the latter.

I soaked the middle bit of a sticking plaster (Band Aid, Elastoplast, etc) in the ACV, and stuck it on my finger. The effect was almost instantaneous, the pain subsided, and I almost forgot about it at once.

In future I will set aside my insect-friendly bravado, and use a skimmer net.



26 comments:

  1. I scoop the bees out with my skimmer but I kill the wasps. I am very allergic to both.
    The Arizona bees are solitary and quite gentle. I plant lots of rosemary for them and build special homes for them to live in.
    I will remember the ACV trick.

    cheers, parsnip and thehamish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always just used my hands, but no more! The end of my finger is quite red this morning, and itchy.

      Delete
  2. Vinegar is good for jellyfish stings too. Not that you're likely to meet any of those in your pool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen things that look like jelly fish, but they were relatives!

      Delete
  3. Hope the after effects of the sting go away soon. I use ACV for stings and itches as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worse today than when it happened. Very red and throbbing slightly.

      Delete
  4. I was always taught Bicarb for Bees and Vinegar for Vasps.
    The bees are a bit fizzy this year, probably because of the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sting was uncalled-for, and unnecessary. Wretched beast!

      Delete
  5. Ouch! but a home remedy to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was a member of the beekeeping society at school and was never stung. In fact the only time I have been stung by a bee was by a bumblebee which was on the underside of my car door handle. That hurt a great deal more than any of the wasp stings I have had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I regret not having kept bees when I was younger. Nowadays I have too many other things to do.

      Delete
  7. If I find a bee crawling on the patio, I put a dab of honey beside it and watch it sucking it up . They can then fly away !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally I have no fear of Bees or Wasps, now I shall be slightly more wary.

      Delete
  8. It just shows you that there is no need to dash to the chemist, usually there is something in the kitchen that will do the trick better.
    Will keep that tip in mind.
    Briony
    x
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife has no end of chemical products that cure just about everything; which is why I consulted the net for a home remedy!!!

      Delete
  9. Well, that's one finger cured of arthritis anyway, now what about other areas of your body ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that was supposed to be Nettle stings.

      Delete
  10. Apple cider vinegar - seems to be the cure-all these days. I usually have my hands stuck in a garden somewhere and have never been stung by a bee. Wasps, yellow jackets, hornets - are a whole different story. They have incredibly bad attitudes. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never lift a Hornet out from the pool with my bare hands, that would be like suicide.

      Delete
  11. The initial sting hurts, but it is the day(s) after when it throbs and itches that is more than uncomfortable. I once was trimming a bush and put my bare hand inside to grab a branch and was attacked by numerous bees. I needed medical help and suffered quite a bit of pain and swelling. I am much more careful now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sting was two days ago, and it was throbbing this morning. Lady M has now covered it with 'ointment', and it's OK again.

      Delete
  12. Because I have to carry Epi pens after my last encounter with a wasp I always drown them and flip them out with the net,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend not to be very kind to wasps; at least Bees make us honey.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...