Friday 29 April 2016

Apologies in advance!



With all the tales of snow, sleet, hail, and rain from north of La Manche, I thought I'd rub salt into certain wounds and show you our Wisteria and Clematis flowers for one final time.

Everyone likes to think they live in a 'micro-climate', and we are no exception. Just a few kilometres from us, in the village where I buy my bread, the temperature is always much lower than ours. The village name of 'Frayssinet le Gelat' even suggests the colder weather that they often experience. They can be scraping ice from their windscreens whilst we sunbathe by the pool (well, almost).

This year, like last year, I rashly planted out all my tender summer vegetable plants well before the risk of frost was traditionally due to pass. All have remained un-frosted, whereas others in lower lying areas have lost theirs.

I don't want to suggest that we live in a subtropical or Caribbean climate; we don't. Temperatures are usually a few degrees above those of the UK in the summer, and occasionally a few degrees below those of the UK in the winter.     

However, for the moment, I'm pleased to be living here rather than 700 kms to the north.

And, just in case you were wondering, our mornings have been quite cold recently; just above freezing (between 3 and 5C). But nature compensates; cold nights means clear skies, and clear skies means sunny days. Swings and roundabouts!

Having said all this, yesterday afternoon was bloody freezing. 




31 comments:

  1. I thought it was a post about spelling but it isnt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks delightful. By the way how much land do you have to look after?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow when I picture your home, it's always a lovely, picture-perfect summer day. The south of France seems like paradise to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a bit nippy recently, but usually with nice sunny days.

      Delete
  4. I just noticed that here we don't talk much about the weather, may be because it is so boring here, only 2 seasons.
    You do live in paradise like Jennifer said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would rather live somewhere that had distinct seasons than just hot (or cold) all the time. Ideally I would like a minimum of 10C, and a maximum of 30C, but I don't think such a place exists.

      Delete
    2. The Azores would be close but a bit windy.

      Delete
    3. I agree with the Azores.
      Or where we live, in the southwest of Ireland. It hardly ever freezes here and the temperature never even reaches 25, let alone 30°C. Downside : damp ! ;-)

      Delete
  5. Frost here this morning but I think we are a bit higher and more exposed than you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did notice a tiny bit down in front of the house, but nothing serious. All plants still OK.

      Delete
  6. Lovely photo of your place. No sign of frost here although chilly. I also like distinct seasons, the ebb and flow of living things give a sense of continuity. Apparently our region is the greenest and hottest part of France, I suppose because it is so close to the Pyrenees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also a very beautiful part of France. I love seeing the distant Pyrenees when I drive to Toulouse.

      Delete
  7. I'd be smug if we had weather like that here too- chuckle! It would have been possible for me to throw a snowball at you had you been here this week Cro! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have ducked! No snow here this winter, or last winter.

      Delete
  8. Lovely photo Cro.
    Another snowy morning here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw some cut and baled green silage here this morning!

      Delete
  9. It gladdens my heart to see such beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flowers are amazing; it's their first real year of flowering, previously they were just practising.

      Delete
  10. A beautiful sight and well worth another photograph.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your tender veg plants !!!! ..... ne'er cast a clout, 'till May be out !!!!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our May is almost out, it'll be out in about a week. I shall get my shorts ready.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful place you have, Cro. Cold here, but the blossom is coming out all together so at least it looks nice -- from inside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful day again here; enjoying the sunshine whilst gardening.

      Delete
  12. It looks idyllic, Cro - a wonderful advert for rural France.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Would't a minimum of 10C preclude cozy nights by the fire? My preferred range would be more like 0 to 25C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's compromise and say 5 to 28C. It's the wretched frost that I hate at this time of year. A minimum of 5C would solve that.

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Oh dear. I think I can hear some rain this morning (it's still dark), we need it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...