Wednesday 9 September 2015

Wild and Wonderful.


                           

Some time back I mentioned that this wild vine grows in a hedge on one of my morning walk routes. It's a delicious grape but full of pips.

I took a cutting, and this year had my own first, rather poor, crop (above is the wild one).

It's amazing that when these plants are left to grow wild (having been part of an abandoned vineyard) they produce huge amounts of grapes; this one above being a good example.

I wish I could somehow let you taste these beauties, they really have a haunting flavour; imagine those fizzy sour sweets with a hint of ether..... what a shame that they're filled with wretched pips, but I've now learned just to swallow the whole lot. Delicious.

Yes, I know; I'll have vines growing in my stomach.



21 comments:

  1. Imagine with all the cooking posts if you could incorporate smell into blog posts. No one would ever get any work done.... which reminds me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The taste of these grapes is so special that I'd love to share it. However.....

      Delete
  2. That's one way to get your daily fibre, lol.

    I think grapes thrive on a little benign neglect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that phrase "benign neglect", and I can think of many things that would benefit from a little benign neglect.

      Delete
  3. I like grapes crushed and fermented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our grape (Leon Millet) has too many bunches of grapes on it I think as they are very small. I wish I could get the pruning right. I think it must be an art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can treat a vine very roughly during its growing season, just cut off what you don't want; it won't complain.

      Delete
  5. \how wonderful to have vines growing in the wild - that would suit me to perfection. As to eating pips - there are a lot worse thing to be growing in your stomach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What with the wild figs, chestnuts, mushrooms, grapes, and blackberries, one could have a whole free meal.

      Delete
  6. Sounds to me like the wild grapes show us that perhaps we are over pruning the domesticated ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This particular one grows up into the trees and is covered, so you may be right.

      Delete
  7. The grapevine in my greenhouse is useless it produces hardly any grapes but tries to take over with foliage. I really should get rid of it. Those wild grapes look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds like it is getting too well treated....

      Delete
  8. looks a a good healthy variety, to survive neglect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really why I took a cutting; plus the amazing flavour, of course.

      Delete
  9. I never have grown grapes, Kiwi yes but never grapes. But then there is always tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought of growing Kiwis, but I think I'll stick to grapes.

      Delete
  10. Tsk...Didn't your Grandmother tell you the story of the boy who swallowed fruit seeds,, took root in his stomach, and the branches started growing out of his ears?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...