Friday 7 August 2015

A question of colour.



Here in France, if you see something like the above in your rear-view mirror, you slow down PRONTO.

Yesterday Wills drove 200 Kms north to buy loads of building materials, and discovered that this is annoyingly true.

The problem with owning a deep blue Renault Trafic van is that everyone thinks that you are Les Gendarmes, and the flow of traffic suddenly slows to an escargot's pace.

I did suggest that he buys a blue flashing light for the top, then other drivers might simply give way and let him overtake at a normal speed. Until then it looks like he's going to have to become an exemplary driver; of course he could always issue a few hefty 'on the spot' fines to those who are not.

He recently bought the vehicle in Berlin, imported it here, and it now has a French number plate.




15 comments:

  1. Why buying a french car in Germany ? A cheaper price I think, which is a good
    reason. I remember driving on french roads to be an "adventure", sometimes a chaotic situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son, Wills, never does things the easy way. On his way back from Australia he flew to Zurich, then took a train to Berlin, bought the van, and drove down here. This is the second car he's bought in Berlin.

      Delete
  2. I like people doing things not in the usual way. Good guy. Wish you a nice day in France.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo …. I'd rather like that feeling of power !!!! Perhaps Wills could go the whole hog and buy a uniform !!!! Maybe not …..
    Sunny and very warm here today Cro. I'm having lunch at the pub with my oldest friend….. we were at school together ! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rather a clever move I would have thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bet that's pretty annoying for him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Dutch traffic police used to have bright orange Porches. Mind you, they like anything in orange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Porsche Mr. Stephenson ! Altzheimer..Porche... some problems Sir.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you said that and not me.

      Delete
    3. May be I should not. I do not know Mr. Stephenson and probably he will not appreciate , but as an Englishman he got a sense for "joking".


      Delete
  7. The GS wants desperately to buy a Crown Victoria or Charger since they are the cars preferred by police here. I'll have him read this post, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our police drive white SUVs...a lot of those on the road driven by ordinary civilians. Gives one a start on occasion.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...