Monday 4 August 2014

TCP?



Bloody typical, just when I have loads of Tomatoes ripening, my Courgettes have gone on strike.

Anyway, with just a few Courgettes and loads of green Peppers I decided to start off my 2014 bottling campaign with half a dozen 500 gm jars of Tomatoes with Courgettes and Peppers (TCP).

What I really want to preserve this year is Courgettes in Tomato sauce, and just plain Tomato sauce (Passata).  I find these the most useful.

We still have just a couple of bottles from last year, but they will be finished before long. I reckon I've got my annual quantities right, even if I can't get everything to grow at the right time.

Synchronization Cro, synchronization! 



16 comments:

  1. It is often that I can even smell the good food in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems that we are both starting our 'Rat' preserving at the same time this year. I am waiting for more tomatoes to ripen so I can crack on - I finished last year's lot ages ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning to you,
    I've just dropped by from John at Going Gently. We have a courgette problem as well....to many of the blasted things, and mostly the yellow variety. What's the recipe for jarring them up as you do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I chop each Tom into about 20 pieces (smallish), slice the Courgettes, and cut up the peppers, then cook them (with salt pepper garlic and olive oil) until softish. I then bottle and sterilise for 1 hour. They keep for about 2 years.

      Delete
  4. My courgettes are rubbish this year...but tomatoes and onions are doing particularly well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wandering if you have a canning thingy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but local shops will put your filled cans through a machine to close them. I use the Le Parfait Familia Weiss system, with those capsule lids (above) that are screwed down whilst sterilising. It's a good system.

      Delete
    2. will look into it, thanks.

      Delete
    3. Like a Kilner jar but with a more fancy French name.

      Delete
  6. I used to can tomatoes when my children were home. I would do about 60 jars a year. Recently, two of my children told me that they cannot eat anything with red sauce on it as it makes them ill. Apparently, I overdid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do about 25 jars; one for every 2 weeks.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...