Saturday 19 April 2014

Mouse in the (Pump) House.



I've mentioned previously about the mice effing-up the electrical gubbins in our pool's pump house. Desperate measures were required to ensure that it didn't happen again.

This handy sachet poison looked to be the perfect solution. I put down blocks daily for several weeks. Every morning the blocks were gone. I began to suspect that there must be an army of the bloody things in there.

One day I decided to use my old-faithful mouse trap with a nice piece of Cheddar. I caught a mouse AT ONCE.

The following day I re-set the trap with more tasty cheese; but since that first victim, not a thing.

I even returned to putting down the wrapped blocks of poison, but they remained untouched.

I'm now wondering if it was just that ONE SINGLE MOUSE who had been eating all the poisoned blocks, but eventually fell victim to my mouse trap. 

A lone super-mouse with a very sensitive neck, but a much less sensitive stomach!



18 comments:

  1. Is the French for rat rat? I note the word raticide on the box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. He must have been a super-mouse to eat all that poison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless he stashed it somewhere. He must have taken-away at least 10 blocks.

      Delete
  3. "Raticide Souricide"! Excellent name! Do you not a have a cat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freddie does his bit, but we didn't like to lock him in the 'pump house' over night. Maybe we should have.

      Delete
    2. I could send my four across. They are killing anything that moves at the moment.

      Delete
  4. With the dogs around I hate using poison but needs must sometimes ......I get paranoid about it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your title today would make a great name for a dance track!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband uses sticky paper but I find that cruel. I once tried to free a mouse, only getting my foot stuck also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a sonic mouse scarer in the loft, it has been there for years and it has stopped the pesky mice from entering our abode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd been told they didn't work.

      Delete
    2. Well Cro my experience is that the semi-circular type (as mine is) works fine however, I bought Mrs H a triangular one for her studio and that failed.

      Delete
  8. Sadly, I've heard it's rare that you will have only one mouse. . .
    At the moment, I have my acme-all-purpose chipmunk trap sitting the middle of my finished basement.( I'm pretty sure that's what we have, based on the sunflower seeds from the outside birdfeeders that keep showing up.) The trap: a deep bucket filled with water, a layer of sunflower seeds floating on the top, and a long gangplank leading to the edge, with a tempting trail of more seeds leading to the plunge of death. Although if the other half of our marriage weren't willing to deal with the results, I wouldn't use this method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds rather medieval; can't they swim?

      Delete
  9. I think the mice learn from what happens to their fellow mice. We set traps with cheese and also with jam. A couple will fall victim. But then they have learned to spring the trap and then eat the tempting delicacy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lets hope it was just as you think! Our barn this spring didn't show any signs of mice that may have wintered in there, which makes me worry that a snake is/was in there taking care of them--Needless tos ay, I won't be going in there to find out! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...