Saturday 5 October 2013

Eco-Home.




Our good friends Craig and Carol have recently started building their long planned Eco-Home. It has been designed to be environmentally friendly, super-insulated, and extremely cosy in winter. I believe that Carol is busy, as I write, stuffing sheep's wool into sacks for the actual insulation.

The house itself is quite compact, but will undoubtedly grow with the addition of several extending pergolas, where outdoor living (in summer) will be comfortable in whatever climactic conditions are thrown at us (them).

Their plot overlooks open countryside, and even on the foul rainy day when I took the above photo, it shows its definite charm.    

The lacaze house plan

It's a fun project, and we're following their progress closely. Unfortunately we can give little practical advice about Eco-building, but we're all doing our bit, by taking cuttings for their future garden; I've already earmarked a few herbs, some Peach trees, and a Fig.

They're hoping to be installed before Christmas; who knows...... Watch this space.

Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

  1. Which Christmas? If you have ever watched " Grand Designs" you will know it will probably be Christmas of 2015! Looks like a wonderful position for a home. I hope you can show us the finished house, as in " G D "!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. In our local little market town the planners have just rejected plans for someone to build an eco home after a lot of local objections. Maybe it was in the wrong place (between bungalows on a housing estate) - but I love the idea and shall follow your friends' progress with interest.
    Any local recipes for fallen apples??? We are inundated and I am sick to death of stewed apples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My only recipe for fallen apples is 'given them to the horses'. I've just done exactly that.

      Delete
    2. Fallen apples? Cider me thinks.

      Delete
  3. All I know about building an eco house is that it seems to cost twice as much as a traditional one. I know people here who have just built a house out of old car tyres for walls, and it still cost £200,000.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds a great project - but it looks tiny - micro living is popular now. Looking forward to seeing the end result - eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to seeing the progress. It does seem a tad tiny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also looking forward to following this project. Should be interesting to learn about this sort of building, the mistakes as well as success

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a fascinating project, "Grand Designs" on your doorstep so to speak, I'll be following with great interest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What do you mean looking forward to hearing about the mistakes? I hope not. Here is a link to the site, complete with a picture of Cro http://www.carolmiers.com/2013/10/cro-magnon-man-writes-about-the-eco-house.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...