Sunday 10 February 2013

If only.....


Susan here recently asked 'What would you be doing, if you weren't grounded by fear?'

I replied 'Living in India'.

I've not visited India, but I've always had an irrational desire to live there. It seems to me the most exotic place on earth, with wonderful architecture, and wonderful food. But it's foreign-ness (as far as living there is concerned) is overwhelming.

These old abandoned Hill Forts (above) in Rajasthan can be found all over; many have now been turned into hotels, and at one time could be bought for next to nothing. I could see myself living in rustic splendour with several servants, cooks, and wallahs, all for the cost of a week's shopping in France.

There are plenty of cheap Hill Forts still available, and for the brave they offer a wonderful life. Craftsmen are plentiful, and their restoration (and modernisation) is not a problem.

When someone invents that time machine, and I am 25 again, maybe I would throw extreme caution to the winds, and move to India.

Maharajah Cro..... Yes, I can see it now.

8 comments:

  1. It was feet as itchy as that which led me a most circuitous route to Angola when my original intention had been to go to the Far East. Take my advice, Cro, and buy a decent compass before you set off!



    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here Cro, have never been there but always felt drawn towards all things Indian. I would go tomorrow, regardless of age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen 'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel' with Maggie Smith, Judy Dench and a host of others? My daughter gave me the dvd for Christmas - it turned out to be a wonderful shot of warmth in a wet and gloomy winter. That is as close to India as I need to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although India is tempting I have always had a hankering for Italy - I even started to learn the language a few years ago - just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They have a bit of an issue with traffic in India Cro...might get you down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel the same as you -- drawn to India yet intimidated by the extreme forgein-ness of it all. Depends on whether you are in a city or not, but the masses of people would get me down. If I knew someone there who could soften the blow, that would be the ideal. Otherwise, I'll be content to watch movies about that great big country.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you wrote this post, because I was curious as to why you said you'd live in India. Now I know. The overcrowding, abject poverty, and lack of respect for females would make the country less than appealing to me, but some of the landscapes and architecture would be wonderful to see in person. You may be happily grounded where you are now, but I hope to get to soar to India someday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never let a "fear of flying" stop your dreams (and I dont mean Erica Yong) - I visited India at the tender age of 61 - on my own - I joined a tour and it was one of the most fantastic experiences of my life - the noise, bustle, smells, were an adventure - beautiful women in saris delivering lunch to roadside workers - pots on their heads - floating candles down the Ganges - Taj Mahal - temples - EVERYTHING - even a visit will test your senses.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...