Friday 9 November 2012

Melton Mowbray Pie.



One of the world's delights, still sadly unavailable over here in France, is a good quality English Pork Pie.

Lady Magnon has just returned from her pre-Crimbo shopping trip/grandchildren-sitting in London, and has brought back a few delights for a very grateful Cro.

I did make a Pork Pie myself a few years back. It was good, but I wasn't sure how to make, and add, the jelly. So, there was something 'lacking'.

Tasting the above has given me renewed passion for Pork Pies. And as I now know how to add the jelly, I shall be having another go very soon.

A thick wedge of top quality Melton Mowbray Pie, a large spoonful of Branston, some of Cro's pickled red cabbage, and a good dollop of Coleman's mustard, and, voila, you have a lunch fit for Kings and Princes.

Sometimes people in England just don't know how lucky they are!

p.s. I mentioned in para 1 that pork pies are unavailable here. Several months ago I left a note for our local 'upmarket' supermarket boss, suggesting that he might like to stock a few more interesting Indian foods (I made a list). It wasn't long afterwards that they all turned-up on the shelves. Maybe I should contact him again about pork pies!


Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

  1. Oh, that does look good. Many years ago someone I worked with used to bring pork pies to work that his wife had made - he gave me the recipe and I made a few but nothing like the real thing. My lips are watering at the sight of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good pork pie especially a Walkers their pastry is so crisp. The way to add the liquid is to make a hole in the lid after you have assembled the pie and pour the liquid in through the hole. They showed you how on the Great British bake off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's where I saw it too! Gelatine is on today's shopping list.

      Delete
  3. A mouth watering blog to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had the pleasure...it looks and sounds like heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make a pork pie but it doesn't have 'jelly' in it. Since your local grocery was so helpful with the Indian food it might be worth a try to suggest your pork pies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traditional English pork pies are cooked, then left to rest for a while. The jelly is then poured in through a small hole in the top, and it sets around the shrunken minced pork filling. You end up with a pastry, jelly, and pork, pie. Delicious.

      I shall make one on Sunday.

      Delete
  6. In the days before I moved to the slightly deranged, vaguely hippie-esque planet Vegan in the outer reaches of the Oh-Good-Grief arm of the galaxy I gained enough experience of the Pork Pie to wholeheartedly concur. One of GB's masterpieces. Sufficient on their own to prove the genius of this island race.

    Made with tofu they just don't cut the mustard somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you make your pie on Sunday, would you include a photo of it when it's cut so I can see the inside? I have never heard of pork pie, but it looks delicious! Pork always goes with mustard! What a sweet wife!!
    I like that you make suggestions to your local grocer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for such a mouth-watering explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am now sorely tempted to put extra demand on my cholesterol lowering medication !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you should. It looks delicious. I've not eaten a pork pie for ages and I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I was a young girl, my Grandad used to take into Melton Mowbry on a Saturday to pick up his pies. What a lovely memory you have brought back to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're very lucky that I travel weekly. So partners pork pie cravings can be satisfied on a regular basis!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! TIme to drop some hints at your local grocer!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...