Sunday 7 March 2010

Enrico Caruso


Early 'primitive' recordings of Caruso always make it sound as if he was singing FLAT. I'm sure this wasn't the case, but it spoils what otherwise might be a pleasant experience. Anyway, I find him interesting for other unrelated reasons.

I had always been led to believe that Caruso's mother had given birth to 19 children, and that the only one to survive was Enrico himself. I now believe (more correctly) that he was one of 8, and in fact three survived.

My other favourite Caruso story is that his mother would always turn-up late at church, just so that the congregation would notice the difference in the quality of the singing (after her arrival).

Now that's what I call a very sensible woman. The little minx.



Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. Have you heard that bloke who thinks he is taken over by Caruso's singing voice? Not bad, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cro, on early recordings, pianos always had awful wow and flutter and a bar-room tone and operatic singing tended to sound flat or sharp or with a warble but not dead-on and it's quite irritating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a shame, Serge, because someone with a reputation such as Caruso ought to be appreciated still. Sadly all we have are these wavering flat renditions that irritate.

    Tom, I don't know who you mean, but if you're a tenor and pretend to be possessed; why not by Caruso.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Minx indeed! She was obviously one proud mama, with good reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've often wondered why he sounds flat on those recordings. You're right, I'm sure he wasn't. Gosh, his mother sounds like she was a character. She probably told people she had given birth to 19!

    My daughter sings opera, btw.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...